- The absolute best diet change that one can make in order to improve his/her health is to reduce the amount of sugar consumed.
- A bottle of coke contains approximately 1/2 cup of sugar. Also, in many cases, "healthy" foods, such as yogurt and granola, contain as much sugar as that bottle of coke.
- Sugar actually can become an addiction. Over time, our taste buds are "deadened" so we need more sugar to satisfy that sweet tooth of ours.
- Our body considers all refined carbohydrates (ie. bleached flour) as sugar.
Our family has decided to do this by:
- Avoiding high fructose corn syrup
- Eating more fresh fruits and vegetables
- Adding more whole grains to our diet
- Drinking more water (we love the seltzer!)
- Making our own fruit and vegetable juice (still on the lookout for a juicer, but found a free juice recipe book from someone online!)