Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Trip to Boston and a Sweet Potato Sandwich

I'm excited about this post on SO many levels.
It starts 10 years ago when I married a very talented, loving, smart, handsome guy.
To celebrate our 10th anniversary this month, we took a trip that began in Boston (we had this view!).
Where we met a Blue Man,

And galavanted around Harvard Square (the spot we got engaged).

Here, we happened upon a small cafe where I had a sweet potato sandwich. Yes, I said sweet potato sandwich. I knew I had to recreate it when we got home. Which is the main point of this post. But before I go any further I should say that our vacation ended in Costa Rica, and I plan to do a separate post on that. Don't feel obliged to read it!

Back to the sweet potato sandwich.

Jason would laugh at me because he thinks I throw superlatives around too often, but I think this was the best sandwich I've ever had. The original one in Boston was amazing, and the one pictured here was (dare I say it?) BETTER. Here's the method:

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

-Slice sweet potatoes to 1/4 inch thick wedges and place on baking sheet.
-Spray (or brush) both sides with olive oil and season with freshly grated sea salt and black pepper.

-Bake in oven 30 minutes, then flip and continue baking another 15 minutes.

-Meanwhile, caramelize some onion (you had to know this was coming). You can find the method for this here in the Eggplant post.

-Spread hummus on two slices of bread (the bread pictured above is gluten free and it was perfect for this  recipe).

-Place sweet potato, caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato and avocado on bread and DIVULGE!
Oh, and one more thing. Another reason I was so excited about this dinner is this:
I GREW THOSE! 

Not sure why this is such a big deal? It's because I usually kill any plant that comes into contact with me. It's not intentional. I just happen to have the opposite of a green thumb. But that's changing! This year was potted tomatoes and basil, and next year I'll throw a few more things into the mix. There are lots of things I want to grow. At the top of my list? Sweet potatoes, of course.  

By the way, I didn't use the basil in the sandwich, but in a citrus basil water that we paired with dinner. 
I recommend it!


7 comments:

  1. I wanna hear about the trip - thought u guys just went back home to Mass for a bit....need pictures (food pictures are great, but they don't help when i'm sitting here without awesome food in front of me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa- I love a person who comments on my blog! You want some Costa Rica pics, you got it! Come back soon!

      Delete
  2. Great post!!! We had home-made sweet potato chips with dinner tonight...yummo!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! How do you cut the sweet potato thin enough to make chips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, the tomatoes look beautiful!! Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out that dress you're wearing next to Blue man. Can you be my personal shopper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Rachel! That was my favorite purchase of the trip- Harvard Square has the best Urban Outfitters! And I'm not just saying that, they have a bargain basement...

      Delete

You're leaving a comment?! Right on.