Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pinterest Mishaps

This Ecard makes me laugh. A lot. 

This moment has happened at our house on several occasions. On one particular night Jason found me mixing up a gelatin and milk concoction that kept showing up on Pinterest. It's supposed to work better than Biore pore strips. Problem was that it hardened immediately once I put it on my skin and became painful to take off. Plus, it didn't work (apparently it does for some people).

On another ocassion, I was trying to make a fabulous toffee candy recipe that caught my eye on Pinterest, to be given as a Christmas gift. It was all going so beautifully when Jason walked in the kitchen as I was dropping a spoonful of the hot toffee mixture into a glass of cold water. If it solidified, that would indicate that it was done (a candy thermometer would have been very useful here. I did utilize my meat thermometer, but it couldn't measure the high temperature that a candy thermometer can. All of the candy makers are cringing right now).

Anyway, the husband looked at me and in an impressed sort of way, and said "You look like a little chemist". Which kind of made me laugh, and got me thinking about chemistry class, and the fun times we had trying to distract the teacher from actually teaching a lesson. When I turned around, the mixture in the pot was smoking heavily causing my eyes to burn. I immediately took the the pot outside and (thank goodness) I don't have a photo, but picture this: I'm barefoot in the driveway at 9:30 at night, in my pajamas, holding a smoking pot out in font of me, eyes watering, fingers crossed, hoping I didn't ruin this pot and that the smoke detector doesn't go off. A little bit defeated, I dumped the smoking concoction into the woods and as it sizzled, I decided to forget about the toffee for the evening.

It didn't end all bad though, because I ended up with these little goodies:


They are missing a toffee layer, but they are mini crackers, topped with both white and dark chocolate, and covered with slivered almonds.

I think this recipe could have worked just fine had I had the proper equipment. Or perhaps I could have paid a little more attention in Olly's class; if only I had known about all of the experimenting I'd be doing in my adult life. Or maybe, I should warn my family members about the dangers of distracting a gal when she's working on something that she saw on Pinterest...

7 comments:

  1. Cute! And candy making is NOT for the amateur. I don't have a thermometer either and have had my own candy making mishaps. Ah well, we learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I agree- candy making is not for the fain of heart! It's probably not so bad that I'm not very good at it though ;)

      Delete
  2. hahahhahahhahahha!!! This post is hysterical!!! Please post recipe for those cracker things, I loved them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this story is especially funny for us because we would make toffee as kids. You were like the mama bear teaching us all sorts of things in the kitchen, how did you learn to make toffee at such a young age?!

      The cracker treats are so simple! Start with mini saltines. Melt Bakers brand chocolate and pour on the cracker (this was easier than dipping), Top with the almonds while chocolate is still warm and then chill.

      Delete
    2. you really made me laugh with these stories :-)

      Delete
  3. I loved our Chemistry class! You're a brave little chickie for attempting these recipes. Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you would see this post1 Glad we could suffer though Chemistry together!

      Delete

You're leaving a comment?! Right on.