Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Somewhat Fabulous Idea

At some point in my childhood I stopped eating bread crusts. Then, a dear family friend told me that if I didn't start to eat them I would never be able to whistle. After giving it some thought, this made perfect sense to me, and so bread crusts became a regular part of my diet.
My children don't like bread crusts. Someday when they are a little older, I may pull out the threat that if you reject the crust you will live a life devoid of whistling, but right now they are a bit young for that.

Confession: I cut the crusts off of their sandwiches. I know, I know, how enabling right? But I realized that when I don't do this, they leave about 1/4 inch of perfectly good sandwhich that their teeth can not get to without biting into that awful,terrible, crust. With a knife, I can cut it precisely and most of the sandwich is saved.

But what about all those crusts? They were getting wasted, so I decided to turn them in to croutons. So Easy! So yummy! Here's how:

Cut crusts off bread before making the which, and cut into cubes
Coat with extra virgin olive oil
Sprinkle with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and a little bit of garlic powder
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until crispy

That's it! These are great on salad, or better yet- homemade macaroni and cheese.
I might have eaten them by the handful while preparing dinner tonight...

5 comments:

  1. great idea!! i'll be honest I am a crust cutter as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Erin, just found your blog (via [Next Blog] button) and am now one of your followers.

    I thought you might like to read about my kids and their breadcrusts, back at this post of mine...
    http://lynne-mcanulty-street.blogspot.com/2011/06/breadcrusts-and-kids.html

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving a comment?! Right on.